MAY Athletes of the Month
Name: Jenny Kelly
Crossfitting Since: 2013
Attends Class: (times per week?) 5-6x
Favorite Quote: “Just keep going. Everybody gets better if they keep at it.”
HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT CROSSFIT? I first learned of Crossfit through a friend which led me to join Crossfit Passaic Valley in Passaic Valley, NJ for several years. In 2015, I moved to Texas for a year to complete a dietetic internship and continued crossfitting in the Houston area. I soon moved back to NJ and began at Crossfit Hoboken.
WHAT WERE YOUR GOALS WHEN YOU STARTED CROSSFIT? To be able to do push-ups with proper form and strict pull-ups.
HOW HAS CROSSFIT DIFFERED FROM YOUR FORMER TRAINING? Before Crossfit, I mostly ran long-distance, was very focused on cardio and did very little weight training. Now, I love lifting weights and want to keep increasing my strength.
WHAT TYPE OF RESULTS HAVE YOU SEEN WITH CROSSFIT? I have gained strength; I feel more energetic and have more muscle definition. I remember when I first started I was unable to overhead squat a PVC pipe due to my lack of flexibility. I never imagined I would be able to accomplish rope climbs, pull-ups, etc. It’s nice to look back and see the improvements I have made and want to continue to make. I was heavily involved in sports growing up and Crossfit allows me to keep that athletic part of my life going. One of the things I love most about Crossfit is that there’s always a skill to be worked on, a higher weight to achieve or more reps to complete.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR EXPERIENCE AT CROSSFIT HOBOKEN? My experience has been wonderful and welcoming. The coaches are very knowledgeable, always giving great tips/advice and encouragement. I feel the coaches continually challenge all the athletes to do better and push out of their comfort zones. There is always a proper warm-up done pertaining to the specific muscles that will be used in the workouts. I enjoy the great community atmosphere and the varied workouts. I typically attend the 5:30am WOD and would not want to start my day off any other way.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO ACCOMPLISH IN THE NEXT YEAR IN YOUR OWN FITNESS? I struggle with a lot of the gymnastic movements and would like to be able to do handstand pushups within the next year as well as improve my flexibility.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY OF FOOD LOOK LIKE FOR YOU? I enjoy a well rounded diet that compliment my classes at Crossfit. As a Registered Dietitian I strive to implement dietary strategies that improve the results of my workouts. I recently started following Renaissance Periodization which focuses on macronutrients, nutrient timing and eating for training days vs. non-training days.
Name: Jon Lafleur
Crossfitting Since: September 2016
Attends Class: About 5 times per week
HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT CROSSFIT?
– I first heard about CrossFit by seeing the CrossFit games on ESPN.
WHAT WERE YOUR GOALS WHEN YOU STARTED CROSSFIT?
– My goal when I first started CrossFit was to get in better shape and to be able to do all the movements.
HOW HAS CROSSFIT DIFFERED FROM YOUR FORMER TRAINING?
– The energy that is the building is just different from other gyms I’ve gone to in the past. There is something special about training with other people around who are all working out to the best of their abilities.
WHAT TYPE OF RESULTS HAVE YOU SEEN WITH CROSSFIT?
– I’m a more well-rounded athlete than before I started CrossFit. I move better, am stronger and my endurance has also improved.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR EXPERIENCE AT CROSSFIT HOBOKEN?
– My experience at CrossFit Hoboken has been great. It’s awesome going to class each day, working out with motivated people and supportive coaches.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO ACCOMPLISH IN THE NEXT YEAR IN YOUR OWN FITNESS?
– I would like to get better at the powerlifts, Olympic lifts and the gymnastics movements, specifically pull-ups and handstands.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY OF FOOD LOOK LIKE YOUR YOU?
– I usually try to eat enough protein, carbohydrates and fats and drink lots water.
2017 05 08